Monday, February 13, 2012

An Introduction

The idea of this blog is inspired by my Mother-in-love.  My husband and I (try) to have supper with his parents every Saturday and we usually talk of many things, along with experiences from their lives growing up in Mexico.

She has wanted to write her experiences and stories down and has at one time verbally recorded some of them, but that too takes time and effort.  I also thought it would be a great idea to record some of traditions and stories that she shares with me and thought a blog would best help inspire me to do so.

The reason for the title is simple, I am Mennonite along with my husband, yet we grew up somewhat differently.  Hence the title, Mennonite Your Way.

Though we share many similarities there are definitely differences.  There are some foods that he grew up with that I didn't and vice versus or even differences adaptions of the same meal which can make them completle different.  I know that with every generation traditions and mannerisms are changed if not completely lost.  The low German language, Plautdietsch is definitively one of them that once was the domminate language for Mennonites is now somewhat diminishing with the younger generation (me included).

A Little History.

We both were born in Canada, yet he is first generation Canadian (meaning his parents grew up in Mexico) and I am 5th generation Canadian.  My forefathers immigrated from Russia to Canada, whereas his from Russia to Mexico, then (30 some years ago) to Canada.

I hope that this blog helps to log some of the traditions, food and mannerisms from the "old Mennonite" ways to the way we live today.

No comments:

Post a Comment