Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pluma Moos or Obst Moos

This last Tuesday I spend the day with my parents and after sharing with my Mom my idea for this blog we talked about ideas and food.  I shared with her the difference my Mother-in-loves Plumi Moos tasted compared to hers.  (I'm not saying my mother-in-loves was not good, it was, it just wasn't what I was used to and I then craved what my taste buds were used.)  My Mother-in-love said, growing up (in Mexico) they were poor and only used a little bit of raisins and used any red jam (strawberry or raspberry) they had on hand.  Of course after talking about the soup with my Mom, we had to make it for supper, so here is my Mom's version of the soup, which I guess since it doesn't have any plums should be called Obst Moos.  Other variations of the recipe include adding a package of cherry jello for colour and flavour.

Pluma Moos
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup dried fruit mix, coarsely chopped (pears, nectarines, apples, apricots)
1 cup frozen or fresh bing cherries
A small amount of juice from Marashino cherries.  (My Moms secrete ingredient for colour and flavour)

1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar

In a medium sized pot, bring to a boil and cover for 10 to 15 minutes.  Combine cornstarch and sugar and add a little water to liquefy, stir to melt to avoid lumps.  Add to the fruit and cook until bubbling, then cook for 1 minute.  Soup can be served warm or cold.

(When I make this soup myself, I'll measure the ingredients a little better and update them on here as my Mom used her hand to measure some of the ingredients)






This soup has many different varieties to it.  When talking to a friend, she grew up with using cut up canned pears and also milk added for a creamy soup .

I went shopping this week and I picked up some dried fruit myself and now I'll be able to make it for my growing family.  It really is an easy soup and it can be served alone with leftovers to stretch the meal further.

A little History:
Traditionally, this soup was made on Saturday and served on Sunday, as Sunday was a day of rest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This recipe looks great and unique!!! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!! And yes, you might not have recognized me as I lost 110 pounds:) thanks again for coming by and for commenting!! Xoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete